Monday, 12 October 2015

Developing a pattern for crochet scarf

Last summer I bought some gorgeous yarn to crochet a warm, soft scarf with for upcoming winter. The yarn is Superchunky by Artesano. I used a 15 mm hook. 

I got inspired by different patterns on the internet, but I wanted something different. That's why I developed a pattern by myself, simply by trying different stitches. 

It turned out that with this thick yarn a simple stitch with only single crochet (USA) is the most beautiful. Double crochet (USA) and complicated patterns make the scarf unnecessarily thick and coarse, and moreover: it takes too much yarn. I had only eight skeins, so I had to measure and calculate to get the right size.

Trying different stitches. 

I chose the linen stitch, which is simple, but creates a lovely effect in multiple colors. 
Then I calculated how wide the scarf had to be. I wanted to wrap the scarf around my body like a cardigan, so I needed approximately 1.80 m. length. By crocheting a sample of one skein, I could measure and calculate how long the scarf would turn out. The brown one in the picture is too short, the green one is good.

Measuring and calculating....
The scarf in progress.

The final result, see my next post!




No comments:

Post a Comment